The UniCredit Bank Austria Purchasing Managers' Index offers an evaluation of the economic situation of Austrian industry by selected purchasing managers.
The economic downturn may be stabilising for domestic industry, but uncertainty is increasing
- The UniCredit Bank Austria Purchasing Managers’ Index rose slightly in August for the first time since November 2018, but at 47.9 points it still remains below the growth threshold of 50 points
- Although the downturn in new business has slowed, production output saw a greater decline than in the previous month
- The reduction in employment continues at an almost undiminished pace
- The slightly slower decline in the price of raw materials is in turn slowing the reduction in output prices
- The rapid reduction in inventory and the sharp decline in production expectations demonstrate an increasing uncertainty in domestic industry as a result of ongoing trade conflicts
as of 28 August 2019.